Friday, March 23, 2007

11 Books to Read before Leaving High School (If you don't want to sound like an idiot in college)

These are in no particular order ...

Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Anthem, Ayn Rand
Of Mice and Men, John Steinback
Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Color Purple, Alice Walker
Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
A Room with a View, E. M. Forster
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain

Why should we read these?

Because they're stunning books!

Ha! we've heard that before. What makes them so great?

What makes them so great? The usual suspects ... readability, imagination, suspense, tension, drama, romance, reality, fantasy, a certain stylistic beauty of language that makes me bite my lip in envy, a gift for characterization that Shakespeare would admire, a creativity of detail and plot that, oh hell--that if I could match, I'd be on the list instead of writing the list. Try them. If you don't like them, find me something better. That's my challenge to you.

1 comment:

mama pajama said...

Oh, dear. I guess I'm doomed. Only read 4 of those m'self. And I only really really liked "Mockingbird".