Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wordsworth's Daffodils


How do we teach Wordsworth's daffodils?

I live in the South Carolina low country so I've got azaleas to fall back on--even our teenagers understand the unexpected beauty of these nondescript shrubs that burst into riotous drapes of pink flames for one month ... and then fade into the green background.

But it's not--forgive me, ye members of the Canon!--the daffodils that matter. You have to update the concept. Wordsworth had found his happy place. And he returned to it again and again and again.

I tell mystudents about my happy place. It involves Antonio Banderas, a long low chaise-longue, drinks served in coconuts with paper umbrellas, and the complete works of Tolkien. (He's reading them out loud to me in that voice of his--why, what did you think I meant?)

But still, but still, isn't there something else we can do to make Wordsworth more accessible? Why yes, there is! Just go to this website http://www.golakes.co.uk/wordsworthrap/ to see and hear Wordsworth backed by mad beats.

Thanks to Jim for letting us know about this!

1 comment:

mama pajama said...

Golly, after checking out that photo of the furry running through the daffodills, *I* need my happy place now. Creepy!

"Come here, little, one -- come sit on my lap and let me tell you about the daffodills..."